Decorating and home makeover shows are all the rage right now. Whether it’s HGTV or even ABC’s mega show, Extreme Makeover Home Edition , there is a common thread in so many of these shows….decorating on a budget.
Here are 5 tips to help decorate your home without breaking the bank!
- Paint. Paint is a great way to turn an old room into something that feels new and fabulous! Go with a bolder color than what you would normally be drawn to and use that color throughout the house with accent pieces. Paint is an inexpensive way to change the feel of a room in an instant.
- Furniture. Before you buy new furniture, go check out your local flea market, neighborhood garage sales or even craigslist. There are some gems out there. Sand and repaint an old chair or buy a new slipcover for an old but useable couch. Those small touches will make it feel like new without the cost of retail furniture.
- Accessories. Accessorizing makes a house a home. Pillows, throw blankets, vases and picture frames are all ways to transform your home and you can do it on a budget. Shop online for sales on specific accessories you are looking for. Check out retailers like TJ Maxx and IKEA who have fabulous finds for a great price.
- Think outside the box. Did you know that Home Depot sold area rugs, or that Costco sold fine art? Think outside the box on what your local retailers sell and search online for sales. Your Home Depot area rug is going to cost a lot less than going to Pottery Barn.
- DIY. Do it yourself, as much as you can. Some great DIY décor ideas:
- Laura Gaskill, Houzz contributor suggests that you frame illustrations, from a book or magazine that you love. It’s not only an inexpensive way to have wall art, but a great way to showcase your personality.
- Take a door off of a free standing cabinet and paint the inside. It makes for a unique space that you can showcase according Danielle Claro of Real Simple.
- Grab a piece of driftwood and make it a hanging rack on the wall, or make a dining room center piece with acorns from your yard and flowers from your garden.